Saturday, March 7, 2015

Babies get grass!

Baby ducks stink.  That is all there is to it.  After two days in a brooder in the sun room,  we either had to clean it out or move out of the house.


I won't enlarge this one for you, just trust me... it's nasty!  

Kern and I took the brooder outside to clean it out, and it was such a beautiful day, we put the babies on a patch of clover while we did that. 

Happy, happy babies!

I put the water tray in with them, full of water.  At first they were just a little curious, but as soon as the first couple babies hopped in, they all had to jump in.  Such delight!
Clover...or water... tough decision!


I found some chickweed and put it in their water.  They were crazy about it!  I even got a little video! We let them play for about 15-20 minutes, then we got them back inside under the heating element.  With a clean, new brooder, they happily preened for the next hour before taking a nap. 

All clean!




Tomorrow should be another warm(ish) day with a pretty good chance of rain.  If there is a clear patch in the afternoon, we might take them out to play in the puddles and to scratch around in the mud.  I'll be sure to take pics.










No comments:

Post a Comment